The fantastic Can’t Sit Still are recruiting Gloucestershire based artist-facilitators who have experienced pregnancy and birth, to lead groups for new mother’s and babies as part of their new arts & wellbeing project Invisible Thread.
We are seeking professional, freelance artist-facilitators who have experienced pregnancy and birth, to lead a series of 6 weekly ‘walking for wellbeing’ groups for new mothers and babies up to 12 months old, as part of ‘Invisible Thread’, an arts and wellbeing project devised and led by Can’t Sit Still.
The groups accommodate up to 12 mothers and their babies and will take place outdoors, adhering to social distancing and current Government Guidelines. Facilitators will work in pairs to deliver these groups.
Invisible Thread is a development of our pilot 2019 project that demonstrably improved maternal wellbeing. Funded by Gloucestershire NHS, Bristol City Council, Arts Council England, Barnwood Trust, Strike A Light, Gloucestershire Libraries and Kingshill House, this 2021 project has developed in recognition of the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on the mental health of those experiencing pregnancy and birth during this time.
Who are we looking for?
We want to meet people with any professional artistic practice (including but not limited to visual arts, performance, music and writing) who are likely to be experienced participatory arts practitioners and who feel that they are able to create and hold a space for new mothers to come together through outdoor creative practice to enhance wellbeing.
We believe that innovation occurs through the interactions of people with diverse experiences, expertise and points of view (Collective Genius – Hill, Brandeau, Truelove and Linebeck, 2014). This is why it’s important to us to welcome all voices into the Can’t Sit Still family. With this in mind we are very interested in receiving applications from people whose lived experiences are currently under-represented in our team. This includes people who:
- experience racism
- have physical disabilities, impairments or differences
- are neuro-divergent.
Due to possible Covid-19 restrictions, we can only consider applicants who have a permanent residence in Gloucestershire.
What you will deliver
We are recruiting facilitators who will work 1 day a week for 6 weeks in pairs. Facilitators will lead 2 groups in 2 different areas of Gloucestershire per day – either Matson and Moreton-in Marsh (team MM), or Dursley and Lydney (team DL).
Before the sessions begin all facilitators will attend a planning and development day with lead artists from Can’t Sit Still. During the day we will discuss the wider context of the Invisible Thread project and what we hope to achieve. Together, we will share practice and co-design the session delivery and evaluation framework.
There will also be a paid weekly online reflection session with the other facilitators and Can’t lead artists lasting for 1.5 hours.
- Professional artistic practice (including but not limited to theatre, dance, music, circus, visual arts, writing).
- Experience of participatory arts practice.
- Lived experience of pregnancy and birth.
- Availability for ALL wellbeing groups sessions. We have some flexibility around which days of the week your sessions will run, but all sessions must run on the same day each week.
- Availability for planning and development on Friday 8th January.
- Availability for weekly 1.5 hour online reflection session, likely to either take place in the evening or first thing on a Friday morning.
- Use of a car: travel between locations will be paid by Can’t Sit Still.
- Current DBS check.
- Public liability insurance.
- Willingness to work outside, whatever the weather!
Deadline for applications: 9am on Monday 7th December
Interviews: 16th-18th December
Offers made: Week commencing 21st December
Planning and development day: Week commencing 4th January. Please note – our aim is to host this day IN PERSON at a venue in Gloucestershire, but this will depend on current Covid-19 guidelines.
Weekly groups begin: week beginning 18th January 2021.
Weekly groups finish: week ending 26th February
£150 per day for wellbeing groups x 6 = £900
£150 for January planning day
£50 per 1.5 hour reflection session x 6 = £300
How to apply
Please email email@example.com:
- A brief video, audio or written application to share why you would like to contribute to Invisible Thread 2021 and to demonstrate your suitability for the role.
- A CV of your relevant work OR link to your website.
- Whether you are applying to be on team MM or DL, or if it doesn’t matter.
We are working closely with Gloucestershire NHS and Public Health England to ensure this work can go ahead. If there are any changes imposed on us by the tightening of Covid-19 restrictions we will work with our facilitators, group members and partners to adapt and re-schedule wherever possible.