Applications for this role have now closed. Thank you so much to everyone who applied.
We are looking for an experienced producer who believes in doing things differently. We’re looking for someone to join the Strike A Light team who knows the arts industry well but who wants to make change- who is interested in producing a programme of work that is co-created with artists and communities. Someone who doesn’t see community based work as second best or an add on, but who understands that it can be a way to make amazing creative things happen that are relevant to ethnically and culturally diverse audiences and participants.
About the role
Over the last year we have been working with national artists, local artists and communities in Gloucester, giving them time and support to see what they create. We have re-focused our 2021 programme to continue working this way so we will be programming artists instead of shows and engaging community leaders to work as producers in Gloucester estates. We’ll team up community producers with brilliant artists to deliver a co-created programme of projects and events. This role will support those involved and project produce the co-created programme. This will include:
- Working alongside community producers to identify local and national artists they want to work with as part of the Gloucester Presents programme
- Bringing together local and national artists and community members and supporting them as they develop their ideas
- Mentoring the community producers and providing practical support with aspects of producing their projects
- Being the link between the artists and communities and Strike A Light
- Supporting the artists engaged through our Let Artists Be Artists initiative
- Supporting our Women Leader’s South West associates as they develop their work
You can find out more about the kind of projects and events that artists and communities have devised in Gloucester so far here.
Gloucester is an ethnically and culturally diverse city and we are working with several community leaders from Gloucester’s Caribbean and South Asian communities, and so we are particularly keen to hear from producers whose own heritage reflects the communities we are working with.
We would also love to hear from you if you:
- Have solid experience producing shows and/or arts projects
- Enjoy mentoring, supporting and facilitating others to develop their leadership skills
- Combine being efficient and capable with creativity
- Understand when things need to be done in a certain way (e.g. for safety reasons) and when it’s good to challenge the rules of how we produce events or projects
- Are genuinely excited about working directly with communities and artists to make things happen
- Are friendly, resourceful and open to ideas
Contract and fee
This is an initial freelance contract for a 1 year role but the projects will continue over at least 2 years and the contract will be updated to reflect the developing projects at the end of year 1. There is potential for this role to expand during the year or develop into a longer term post. Fee of £15,000 based on £150-£200 per day.
Days/ times of work can be agreed to suit you but you will need some flexibility to be able to respond to messages during busy periods, meet with community producers at times to reflect their commitments etc.
We expect the majority of the work will be completed remotely and so you don’t need to be local to Gloucester, but where restrictions allow, face to face work with communities in Gloucester will be required. Strike A Light can cover reasonable travel/ accommodation expenses for this.
Deadline for applications Tuesday 30 March, 9am
To apply please send your CV and a cover letter (maximum 2 sides of A4) to email@example.com.
Please let us know:
- Why you would like this role?
- Why you think this is the role for you?
(Please include your full name in the attachment file names).
If you would like to apply via a different format please get in touch to arrange this firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interviews will take place on Wednesday 14 April